The Cleveland Indians have been selected to host the 2019 Major League Baseball All-Star Game, according to multiple sources, as reported by Cleveland.com’s Zack Meisel. An official announcement is expected tomorrow morning.
Photo Gallery: 2016 World Series, Game 1
Some of the sights around Progressive Field during Game 1 of the 2016 World Series, in which the Cleveland Indians defeated the Chicago Cubs, 6-0.
ASG Weekly Roundup: July 25th – 29th
- Bruns reflects on All-Star experience (Times Bulletin Media)
- Giants too savvy to be fazed by slump after All-Star break (Sporting News)
- MLB trade rumors: Red Sox ‘greatly interested’ in White Sox ace Chris Sale, per report (NewJersey.com)
- Sale goes for 15th win, Leake on a streak (Times Telegram)
- No noteworthy All-Star Game news.
- Big Papi’s gloves at all-star had local connection (The Ranger)
- Giant lesson: Adam Duvall a reminder of the cost of doing business at deadline (USA Today)
- MLB trade rumors: Dodgers willing to include top prospect Julio Urias in deal for Chris Sale (Yahoo Sports)
- Rockies prospects impress in Eastern League All-Star Game (Purple Row)
- SVG Sit-Down: Fox Sports Regional Networks’ Ford Reflects on MLB All-Star, Evolution of SoCal RSNs (SVG News)
- All-Star atrocities (The County Press)
- MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred talks importance of Historic Dodgertown, All-Star Game in Miami (TC Palm)
- Manfred: More rule changes needed to improve MLB pace of play (The Daily Courier)
- MLB unveils official logo for 2017 All-Star Game in Miami (CBS Sports)
- Sleek, Modern Logo for 2017 MLB All-Star Game in Miami Unveiled (Sports Logos.net)
- 2017 MLB All-Star Game Logo Unveiled (Ballpark Digest)
- Giants acquire All-Star Eduardo Nunez from Twins (USA Today)
- Missing: 2015’s star power. What’s it going to take to spice up this trade deadline? (ESPN)
- MLB Trade Deadline Rumors: Multiple All-Stars To Be Dealt? Mets, Dodgers, Orioles In Trade Talks? (International Business Times)
- White Sox reinstate All-Star pitcher Chris Sale after suspension (UPI)
- Clayton Richard, Lafayette All-Stars help each other out (WLFI)
- How Sony Brings MLB The Show to Life (Sports Illustrated Kids)
- Trade deadline predictions: The rich get richer, and All-Stars on the move (ESPN insider)
2017 All-Star Game Logo Unveiled
This week Miami Marlins president David Samson released the official image for the 2017 All-Star Game in Miami. The logo was revealed to fans just before the beginning of the Marlins game against the Phillies. MLB commissioner Rob Manfred was also on location for the big unveiling. Merchandise with the logo went on sale immediately at the MLB store.
Reactions have varied, but most are positive. In recent years, the graphic designers have done a great job incorporating distinctive of the city and the franchise into the logo. For example, the 2016 logo from San Diego featured palm trees and an archway that resembled Petco Park. The 2015 logo displayed the distinct mustache of Mr. Redlegs and the Reds’ wishbone-C icon. Turning to 2017, spectators may notice that the color scheme draws from the Miami Marlins own scheme and a marlin’s fin is recognizable at the top of the star. Many people appreciate that seems to pay homage to the design and decor of Marlins Park.
This image was tweeted by the official Twitter feed of the All-Star Game:
The 2017 #ASG logo is here. Now it’s real … we are taking over Miami! pic.twitter.com/C2OchNkg14
— All-Star Game (@AllStarGame) July 27, 2016
What do you think of the new logo? Let us know in the comments or on Twitter.
ASG Weekly Roundup: July 18th – 22nd
Weekend (7/16 – 7/17):
- All-Star Lyrics Change Brings ‘All Lives Matter’ Debate To MLB (WBUR)
- Benson: Maybe Pokemon could help MLB All-Star ratings (Pantagraph)
- Cincinnati Reds: Changing the All Star Game (isportsweb)
- Could MLB trim its season to 154 games? (Newsday)
- Four Reasons Why The San Francisco Giants Are World Series Favorites (Sport Quotient)
- LEADING OFF: Yu Darvish, Gerrit Cole return from DL (Madison.com)
- MLB Scouts Invade Mulcahy Stadium for ABL All-Star Weekend (Your Alaska Link)
- Post-All-Star Break MLB Predictions for 2016 Trades, Playoff Races and More (Bleacher Report)
- Roark pitches into 9th inning, Nationals beat Pirates 6-0 (Madison.com)
- Roger Clemens leads team of former MLB stars in baseball tournament (Washington Post)
- This week in MLB (Milwaukee-Wisconsin Journal Sentinel)
- The Tenors Open Up About Member Remigio Pereira Altering ‘O Canada’ Lyrics at All-Star Game (Billboard)
- WATCH: Korea’s incredible All-Star festivities include a bunt derby (CBS Sports)
ASG Weekly Roundup: July 11 – 15th
Here is the recap from game week! Look through the top articles this week and be sure to check out the in-person coverage provided by ASG News.
Weekend: (7/9 – 7/10):
- Aaron Sanchez earns late All-Star spot, Blue Jays lose to Tigers (USA Today)
- All-Star Legends and Celebrity Softball Game full of laughs (San Diego Union-Tribune)
- All-Star Scene & Heard: FanFest has something for everyone (San Diego Union-Tribune)
- Anti-All-Stars: Picking MLB’s worst of the worst from the first half (Sports Illustrated)
- Artist steps to the plate with unique and colorful All-Star work (San Diego Union-Tribune)
- At FanFest, nothing but home runs (San Diego Union-Tribune)
- Bartolo Colon headed to MLB All-Star Game, replacing Madison Bumgarner (Newsday)
- Belt, Saunders win last All-Star spots (Yahoo Sports)
- Blue Jays’ Michael Saunders wins final vote, earns All-Star spot (Sports Net)
- Blue Jays sending a fifth player to the All-Star Game as an injury replacement (CBS Sports)
- Dustin Pedroia fan vote: Red Sox second baseman finishes third in MLB All-Star Game vote (Mass Live)
- Here are the final 2016 All-Star game rosters (Yahoo Sports)
- Hunt Auctions puts baseball memorabilia up for bid (San Diego Union-Tribune)
- Jays’ Michael Saunders voted into MLB All-Star Game (CBC Sports)
- Jose Quintana pleasantly surprised with late addition to All-Star team (Chicago Tribune)
- Michael Saunders, Brandon Belt win MLB’s All-Star Final Vote (CBS Sports)
- MLB All-Star Week’s FanFest Hits a Home Run (San Diego NBC 7)
- MLB FanFest Opens at San Diego Convention Center: All-Star Week (Coronado Patch)
- MLB found a way to make All-Star voting even worse than it already is (Business Insider)
- MLB Futures Game 2016 Results: Score, Highlights, Top Prospects and Reaction (Bleacher Report)
- One of the biggest 2016 MLB All-Star snubs finally gets his due (CBS Sports)
- The Pirates, Reds and Padres send injury replacements to the NL All-Star team (CBS Sports)
- Sad state of MLB All-Star Game, which stars used to care about (New York Post)
- Scherzer added to roster for MLB All-Star Game (Columbia Tribune)
- Sights and sounds from the 2016 MLB All-Star Game festivities in San Diego: Day 1 (Fox Sports)
- Sights and sounds from the 2016 MLB All-Star Game festivities in San Diego: Day 2 (Fox Sports)
- The five coolest things about the MLB All-Star Game FanFest (The Press-Enterprise)
- The Walkoff podcast: MLB All-Star Game – Tony Gwynn’s legacy, David Ortiz’s finale (USA Today)
- Yankees’ Joe Girardi had some beef with the MLB All-Star Game (NJ.com)
Royals Lead the Way as AL Defeats NL in 2016 All-Star Game
SAN DIEGO – Kansas City Royals teammates Eric Hosmer and Salvador Perez homered in the second inning and drove in two runs each to lead the American League to a 4-2 victory over the National League in the 2016 Major League Baseball All-Star Game. Hosmer was named the game’s MVP, finishing 2-for-3 in his first All-Star Game.
Corey Kluber pitched a scoreless second inning and was the winning pitcher for the AL, while NL starter Johnny Cueto took the loss after giving up three runs in one and two-thirds innings.
World Team Roars Back to Take 2016 All-Star Futures Game, 11-3
SAN DIEGO – Trailing 3-0 after five innings, the World Futures scored 11 unanswered runs to defeat the USA Futures team 11-3 in the 2016 All-Star Futures Game at San Diego’s Petco Park. It was the World team’s first Futures Game victory since 2009, ending a six-game winning streak for USA.
Yoan Moncada of the Red Sox was named the game’s MVP after hitting a 406-foot, two-run home run in the eight inning, giving the World team its first lead. Moncada, who finished 2-for-5 with a stolen base, is the first player from Cuba to win the award.
ASG Weekly Roundup: July 4 – 8th
Here is this week’s news and discussion relating to the 2016 MLB All-Star Game.
From the Weekend (July 2nd-3rd):
- All-Star Game for Adam Duvall? Former Louisville star has the numbers in Cincinnati (WDRB)
- Are there any All-Stars on the 2016 Pittsburgh Pirates? (Pirates Breakdown)
- Best of MLB: Indians Outlast Blue Jays in 19 Innings for Record 14th Straight Win (CSN Philly)
- Even at .500, Yankees have some deserving All-Stars (Knuckleball)
- Final 2016 MLB All-Star Roster Predictions (Bleacher Report)
- Flashy night shows Odubel Herrera is ready for the All-Star Game (Outside Pitch)
- Here’s how Wil Myers can make All-Star history (San Diego Union-Tribune)
- Indians: Danny Salazar’s Case To Start The All-Star Game (Factory of Sadness)
- MLB’s All-Star FanFest prep underway at Petco Park (CBS 8)
- MLB All-Star Game Predictions: Who Makes the NL Team? (Heavy)
- MLB All-Star Voting 2016: Updated Leaders and Predictions for Fan Selections (Bleacher Report)
- MLB All-Star Game 2016 Predictions: Projecting Who Should Start For National League In Midsummer Classic (Sports World News)
- Phil Miller makes his AL All-Star selections (Star Tribune)
- St. Louis Cardinals: Deserving All-Star Candidates (Redbird Rants)
- Which Cincinnati Reds are All Star worthy? (iSportsWeb)
- Which Orioles deserve to be All-Stars, and their chances of heading to San Diego (Baltimore Sun)
- Who should the Diamondbacks’ All-Star be? (Venum Strikes)
- 2016 All-Star Game: Who should start/who will start (San Diego Union-Tribune)
- 2016 MLB All-Star Roster: Predictions for Starting Lineups Before Voting Results (Bleacher Report)
2016 Home Run Derby Participants and Bracket Announced
Major League Baseball has released the bracket for the 2016 T-Mobile Home Run Derby, which is schedule for Monday. The first round will feature Corey Seager vs. Mark Trumbo, Giancarlo Stanton vs. Robinson Cano, Wil Myers vs. Adam Duvall, and Carlos Gonzalez vs. Todd Frazier. Frazier won last year’s Home Run Derby in a Reds jersey and did so as somewhat of a dark horse candidate in front of the hometown crowd. The Padres’ Wil Meyers has the opportunity to do the same this year in San Diego.
The Home Run Derby is set.
Seager vs Trumbo
Stanton vs Cano
Myers vs Duvall
Gonzalez vs Frazier pic.twitter.com/bm2sjm4dm2
— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) July 7, 2016
To make things even more interesting for fans, MLB is hosting a bracket contest (much like the popular March Madness brackets). Fans could win up to $25,000 for a correct bracket. For more information on that contest, see the official site.
As part of the hype, MLB has released a free mobile game for the 2016 Home Run Derby. It is available for download from their site as well as the Android and Apple app markets.
For more coverage of the Derby or the content see the following:
- Frazier, Cano, Stanton headline Home Run Derby field (Sports Illustrated)
- Home Run Derby: Here’s picking Wil Myers to win in front of hometown fans (ESPN)
- Mark Trumbo, Todd Frazier lead 2016 Home Run Derby participants (ESPN)
- MLB Home Run Derby 2016: Eight-Player Field, Bracket Set For All-Star Game Event (NESN)
- Star power: Stanton in mighty Derby Field (MLB)
- Next Page »